APE Unit. 1 Discussion Guide 2
1. Describe the boundaries of the known world of Rome.
2. Describe what happened to the balance of power between the Western and Eastern halves of the Roman Empire from 330 A.D. forward.
3. Give two reasons the line between civilized and uncivilized blurred in the west of the Empire.
4. Describe the two major threats to the Empire in the west.
5. Describe the culture of the Byzantine Empire.
6. Describe the culture of the Arab Empire.
7. Describe the culture of Latin-Christendom.
8. Explain how the characteristics of the Germanic Tribes led to the economic system of peasants and lords.
8a. Describe how the Germanic Tribes established justice.
9. Describe how the Church filled a vacuum of power in the west.
10. Explain why Rome rose as the seat of the Papacy.
11. Describe how the church leaders of the west differed from the church leaders of the east.
12. Describe the advance of Christendom from Italy to England.
13. Explain the relationship between the Pope and the Frankish kings.
14. Explain what is significant about the Pope crowning Charlemagne emperor.
15. Explain what is important about Charlemagne’s capital being located in Northern Europe.
16. Describe the effect stability under Charlemagne had on the west.
17. Explain why the development of Carolingian minuscule is significant.
18. Identify three sources of invasions on the west.
19. Describe the process of assimilation of the second wave of barbarians in the west.
20. Describe Europe in the west by 1000 A.D.