APE Unit 1 Topic Two
Discussion Guide 5
1. Describe the characteristics of secularization.
2. Explain how secularization is related to globalization.
3. Identify other values that were elevated in Europe as the culture secularized.
4. Describe the effects the Black Death had on peasant life.
5. Describe the effects the Black Death had on kings.
6. Explain how the Hundred Years’ War was more difficult for France than England.
7. Outline the events that led to the War of the Roses.
8. Explain how the papacy, as an institution, became part of its problems.
9. Explain why the French kings kidnapped the pope.
10. Identify two events that hurt the prestige of the papacy.
11. Explain how having two popes led to insecurity within the body of the Church.
12. Identify the main issues of the Church raised by Langland, Huss and Wyclif.
13. Describe the actions taken by the Conciliar Movement to redirect the Church.
14. Explain the basis of the conflicts between the Councils and the Popes.
15. Describe how the papacy secured its position in Europe.
16. Explain how the Renaissance Popes differed from earlier leaders of the Church.