APE Unit 1 Topic Two
Discussion Guide 6
1. Explain how the name Renaissance may be a poor choice for the Renaissance.
2. Identify sources of wealth for the Italian cities.
3. Explain how the Italian cities became so independent.
4. Describe how influential the Medici family was in Florence and Europe.
5. Contrast the ideal behavior of the Middle Ages with that of the Renaissance.
6. Describe two components of Renaissance Individualism.
7. Compare and contrast Renaissance Art and Middle Ages art.
8. Identify the characteristics of Renaissance architecture.
9. Describe the characteristics of Renaissance sculpture.
10. Describe the characteristics of Renaissance painting.
11. Describe the changes in literature characteristic of the Renaissance.
12. Identify the elements of style the Humanists preferred in ancient literary forms.
13. Explain the effect of writing in the vernacular had on regional languages.
14. Explain how Petrarch embodies the characteristics of the Italian Humanist.
15. Explain how Valla’s examination of the “Donation of Constitine” reflects a new consciousness about how information should be approached.
16. Describe the differences between Renaissance schools and Medieval schools.
17. Explain why the Classics were considered important for a young person to study.
18. Explain the purpose of the “Book of the Courtier.”
19. Describe Renaissance ideas about marriage.
20. Explain the purpose of condottieri and problems with employing them.
21. Explain why Italian politics became a tangled web.
22. Explain how Machiavelli “emancipated” politics in “The Prince.”
23. Describe why Italy was vulnerable.