APE Topic Ten Objectives
1. What general observations may be made about internal changes in the European countries in the years of Napoleon's ascendancy? about the nature and motives of the governments that fought Napoleon?
2. How and why did the First Coalition against Napoleon break up? the Second Coalition?
3. Of what significance was the Treaty of Amiens? How did Bonaparte's policies provoke the formation of the Third Coalition? What was its outcome?
4. Why did the attitudes and policies of Tsar Alexander I puzzle and disturb his contemporaries? In what sense may the Treaty of Tilsit be considered the high point of Napoleon's success? What led to the weakening of the alliance with Alexander?
5. Explain the origins, purpose, and nature of Napoleon's Continental System. What effect did Napoleon's setbacks in Spain have on other parts of Europe?
6. In what sense was the Napoleonic Empire at its height in the years 1809-1811?
1. Treaty of Amiens--
2. the "shame of the princes"--
6. Treaty of Pressburg--
7. Confederation of the Rhine--
8. Treaty of Tilsit--
9. Peninsular War--
10. Grand Duchy of Warsaw--
"SPREAD OF REVOLUTIONS"
1. Describe the territory dominated by Napoleon at the height of his influence. (Consult also the map on p. 427.) What main divisions were there to the Napoleonic domain?
2. Explain the government and administration of the French empire and of the Grand Empire. How did Napoleon use his family as a means of rule?
3. What justification is there for considering Napoleon a reformer and a man of the Enlightenment? In what sense were the main principles of the French Revolution spread throughout Europe by Napoleon?
4. What appeal did the Napoleonic system have in Europe? To what extent was repression employed?
1. French Empire--
2. Grand Empire--
3. "allied states"--
4. "King of Rome"--
5. Pius VII--
6. Civil Code--
7. Kingdom of Westphalia--
8. "Kingdom of Italy"—
1. Describe Napoleon's efforts to find some basis other than force for the unification of Europe. How did he hope to exploit existing European attitudes toward Great Britain?
2. In what basic way did the British blockade and Napoleon's Continental System resemble each other? How did the United States become involved in this economic warfare? With what results?
3. Explain the objective of Napoleon's Continental System with respect to the economy of Continental Europe.
4. What were the chief reasons for the failure of the Continental System? What effect did it have as a short-range war measure?
1. "nation of shopkeepers"--
2. Berlin decree--
3. "order of council" of 1807--
4. Milan decree--
"NATIONAL RESISTANCE TO NAPOLEON"
1. Of what significance was the Napoleonic age for the development of nationalism? What different forms did nationalist feelings take?
2. Describe the change in German national-mindedness that had set in about 1780. How did the ideas developing in Germany differ from the ideas characteristic of the Enlightenment?
3. Discuss the development of nationalism political thought in Napoleonic Germany. In what sense was it "democratic"? What manifestations of German nationalism activities appeared?
4. Describe (a) the principal aims of the army reformers in Prussia and (b) the political philosophy and reforms of Baron Stein.
4. "Germany in Its Deep Humiliation"--
6. "Addresses to the German Nation"--
7. "Closed Commercial State"--
"FALL OF NAPOLEON: CONGRESS OF VIENNA"
1. What factors made everything go "wrong" in Napoleon's invasion of Russia in 1812? How did Europe react to Napoleon's attack on Russia?
2. To what extent did the charter of 1814 accept the changes of the Revolution and the end of the Napoleonic era?
3. Explain the "nature" of the first Treaty of Paris? How would you summarize the issue facing Europe afte
Vr the defeat of Napoleon?
4. Describe the principal territorial arrangements adopted at the Congress of Vienna. What attitudes were taken toward the peace settlement by: a) Prussia b) Russia c) Great Britain d) Austria? How was the dispute over Poland settled?
5. Why did many Frenchmen rally to Napoleon upon his return? How did the allies react?
6. How would evaluate the accomplishments and failures of the Peace of Vienna? Why was the settlement a disappointment to many?
2. retreat from Moscow--
3. Battle of Leipzig--
4. "Frankfort Proposals"--
8. Louis XVIII--
9. Quadruple Alliance--
10. Polish-Saxon Question--
11. "Congress of Poland"--
12. Battle of Waterloo--
13. Hundred Days--
14. "second" Treaty of Paris--
15. Holy Alliance--